Upcoming PW Events
- October 6, 9:00 – 2:00, Presbytery of Eastern Virginia (PEVA) Fall Gathering, Suffolk Presbyterian Church
- October 8 Evening Circle meeting at 6:00
- October 9 Morning Circle meeting at 10:00
- October 17 Presbyterian Women host Kirk Night
The Presbyterian Women (PW) is a national organization made up of women in local Presbyterian churches that support local, national, and international missions.
We commit ourselves:
- to nurture our faith through prayer and Bible study,
- to support the mission of the church worldwide,
- to work for justice and peace,
- and to build an inclusive, caring community of women that strengthens the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and witnesses to the promise of God’s kingdom.
At St. Andrew, the PW provide services such as memorial receptions, Kirk Night suppers, quilts for the sick, blankets for newborns, support for St. Andrew Preschool, and conduct monthly Bible Studies. Locally we provide materials and financial support for a local school and a local women's shelter and provide meals for local homeless. In addition, the PW provides contributions to the national organization for their national and international initiatives.
We invite all ladies from St. Andrew to join our PW and be part of these missions and to join us for our Bible Studies and our social events. For it is through this organization that we can live in hope, grow our faith, and serve together to the glory of God. Information about the missions and other activities sponsored by the St. Andrew women are published on this website, in the weekly bulletins, in the Bagpiper, and on the PW kiosk.
Additionally, many of the women support our commitment to Bible study by joining one of our study groups:
- The Morning Circle – 2nd Tuesday of each month at 10 a.m. in St. Andrew Hall, followed by lunch.
- The Evening Circle – 2nd Monday of each month at 6 p.m. for dinner followed by Bible Study in St. Andrew Hall or the Atrium.
PRESBYTERIAN WOMEN SPONSORED MISSIONS
St. Andrew Presbyterian Women would like to thank all of those who donated to their 2017 Christmas Mission. Thanks to your generous support we were able to donate $600 to each of our missions: Coalition Against Poverty in Suffolk (C.A.P.S.) and the Bolivia Joining Hands Program (Bolivian family garden - see description below).
International Mission: Bolivian Family Garden – What is the greatest planetary crisis facing humans?...lack of access to potable water. Pastor Leigh went to Bolivia in July to study ways the PC(USA) partners with the UMAVIDA network to help in this crisis. One way we can help is to fund sustainable home farming by individuals in the heights of the Andes. Adding, essentially, what we would call a "greenhouse" to persons' homes can make the limited water supply go a lot farther and allow them to farm year-round. When Pastor Leigh visited, it was winter in South America, yet the family gardens, covered in bio-film, were warm and yielding enough produce for one family and their neighbors. They collect water and it stays warm and moist inside due to the solar characteristics of the structure. A home extension of about 8x16 feet can cost as little as $400 US, which includes lumber, bio-film, topsoil and seeds and starter plants. Seeds are harvested the first year and the project keeps repeating itself.
St. Andrew Presbyterian Women hope to get enough donations to be able to fund 1 – 2 of these home extensions (family gardens). The Congregation is invited to join us in supporting these missions; checks should be made out to St. Andrew PW with “PW Christmas Missions” on the memo line and placed in the PW office mailbox. The offering received will be divided between the two missions.