10 a.m. - Noon
Caring for our Neighbors
Dear friends, do you think you’ll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, "Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!" and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you? Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense? James 2:14-18 The Message Bible.
NIGHT STAY PROGRAM FOR THE HOMELESS
Thank you to all those who made the Night Stay homeless shelter such a success! It takes a lot of people to make this happen with the planning, setup, three meals a day, 12-hour supervision, transportation, laundry and cleanup. It has been such a blessing to see our community being the hands and feet of Christ. May God’s light continue to shine through us.
Please pray for this new ministry for our church, that we may be about Christ’s call to love our neighbors.
~Angie Hillis-Baurle, Night Stay Coordinator with CAPS
Opportunities to serve:
- Salvation Army soup kitchen
Church members prepare a meal at the Salvation Army, Bank Street, in downtown Suffolk on the 3rd Thursday of each month. Members are asked to provide cupcakes to be served as dessert. They are due on the Wednesday prior to our Soup Kitchen date.
- Joyful Noise
Funds collected help cover the cost of soup kitchen supplies.
- Reverse Offerings
The collection of non perishable food for the Suffolk Presbyterian Church Food Pantry.
- Adopt-A-Street program
- ForKids, Inc
Made Easter baskets for children in homeless shelter.
- Suffolk Social Services Angel Tree
In December, St. Andrew collects and wraps gifts donated by the congregation. These gifts are then delivered to Suffolk Social Services for their Angel Tree recipients.
- Salvation Army School Supplies Drive
Items needed: bookbags, pens, pencils, graphic calculators, paper, notebooks, tissues, hand sanitizer, crayons, colored pencils, and flash drives. Deposit supplies in the appropriately marked bins in Atrium.
- Compassion Saturday
St. Andrew also hosts a Compassion Saturday each year. This day includes fellowship time for volunteers before they start various service projects, such as street clean-up, meal preparation, Prayers and Squares quilting, card making, ForKids support, and toiletry kit assembly for the Western Tidewater Free Clinic.
- Saint Andrew in Mission (SAIM)
St. Andrew in Mission promotes and coordinates the mission outreach of St. Andrew Presbyterian Church, both locally and world-wide. This includes financial support of many varied mission causes and "hands-on" service projects. In July 2017, SAIM supported the Rise Against Hunger church-wide event at which St. Andrew members packaged 17,000 meals! Also in July 2017, SAIM coordinated home repairs for a local Suffolk woman.
- Meals on Wheels - Suffolk Meals on Wheels, established in 1987, delivers meals to residents living in the city of Suffolk and the Isle of Wight County regions. The food is prepared by the Sentara Obici Hospital Food Services. St. Andrew provides volunteers to deliver meals on each Friday of the month. St. Andrew has 5 delivery teams, with 2 people in each team, who transport the meals from the hospital to the recipients' homes.
- Rise Against Hunger – For the past two years St. Andrew has partnered with Rise Against Hunger in their program to end hunger internationally. We convert our Atrium to a meal-packing assembly line, and we have turned out over 10,000 nutritional meal packages in just two hours each year to be sent where the need is greatest. There are jobs and fun for everyone, including children
- CAPS Night Stay Program – Coalition against Poverty in Suffolk (CAPS), a partnership of churches in the Suffolk area, provides housing and meals for homeless people during the coldest months of the winter. St. Andrew will serve as the host church from Wednesday, 10 January through Wednesday, 17 January 2018.
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of Life." ~Proverbs 4:23